My First Experience With Snow in Kullu and Manali: What I Learned
![]() |
| Touching snow for the first time during my trip to Kullu and Manali |
Some travel experiences stay with us for years, even when they may seem very simple to someone else.
For me, one such memory is the first time I touched snow.
I had seen snow many times in photographs, movies and travel videos. I knew what it looked like, but I had never actually experienced it myself. So when I traveled to Kullu and Manali, I was especially excited about the possibility of seeing snow.
I didn't know exactly what to expect.
I only knew that I wanted to stand in it, touch it and experience it for myself.
And when that moment finally came, I realized that seeing snow in a photograph and actually standing next to it are two completely different experiences.
The journey towards the snow
The journey to Kullu and Manali was beautiful in its own way.
As we traveled through the mountains, the scenery gradually changed. The roads became winding, the mountains became taller and the temperature started dropping.
I kept looking outside the window.
Whenever I saw something white on the mountains, I would immediately try to figure out whether it was snow.
It sounds like a small thing, but I was genuinely excited.
I had waited for this moment for a long time.
Finally, I saw snow
When we reached an area covered with snow, I remember feeling like a child seeing something new.
The landscape looked completely different.
The white snow against the mountains made everything look almost unreal. I had seen similar scenes in photographs, but being physically present there felt much more special.
I didn't spend much time taking photographs initially.
I wanted to touch the snow.
The first time I touched snow
I bent down, picked up some snow with my hand and held it.
That was it.
My first experience of touching snow.
The first thing I noticed was the cold.
I knew snow would be cold, of course, but I wasn't prepared for how quickly the cold would reach my fingers.
The snow started melting in my hand, and I simply stood there looking at it.
For someone who has grown up without regularly seeing snow, this was a surprisingly exciting moment.
I picked up some more.
Then some more.
It was such a simple experience, but I knew I would remember it for a long time.
Snow was different from what I had imagined
Before my trip, I had a picture in my mind of what snow would feel like.
I imagined something very soft and almost like cotton.
The reality was different.
Some snow was soft, while some areas were hard because people had walked over it. In certain places, it was wet and slippery.
That was one of the first things I learned about visiting a snowy place: snow isn't always as soft and harmless as it looks in photographs.
Walking carefully is important, especially when the snow has been compressed or has started to melt and freeze again.
I quickly understood the importance of winter clothing
Another thing I learned was that the cold is not something to underestimate.
I was excited and wanted to spend as much time as possible outside, but my hands started becoming uncomfortable after a while.
That's when I understood the importance of proper winter clothing.
If you're experiencing snow for the first time, things like warm gloves, proper socks, a good jacket and suitable footwear are not just accessories. They can make the experience much more comfortable.
At the time, I didn't think much about these things because I was more interested in the snow itself.
Looking back, I would prepare better if I were traveling to a snowy destination again.
This is something which I have covered more in detail in a separate article about what to wear and what to carry for a snow trip.
The fun part of being around snow
Of course, I didn't just stand there and look at the snow.
After the initial excitement, I started enjoying it like everyone else.
There were people taking photographs, making snowballs and simply enjoying the surroundings.
I also made a few snowballs.
For a while, I wasn't thinking about work, schedules or anything else. I was simply enjoying the moment.
That is one thing I really like about traveling.
Sometimes an experience doesn't have to be extraordinary. A very simple moment can become one of the strongest memories of a trip.
For me, it was holding a handful of snow.
What I learned from my first snow experience
Looking back, I learned a few simple things from that trip.
First, photographs don't really prepare you for the actual experience. You have to be there to understand what the cold feels like and how different the landscape looks.
Second, proper clothing matters. It is easy to get excited about snow and forget about the cold. Warm clothes, gloves and suitable footwear can make a big difference.
Third, walking on snow requires some care. Snow that looks soft can sometimes be hard, slippery or uneven.
And finally, don't be so busy taking photographs that you forget to experience the place.
I did take photographs during the trip, but I'm glad I also spent time simply looking around and enjoying what was in front of me.
Would I visit a snowy destination again?
Definitely.
My first experience with snow in Kullu and Manali made me want to experience it again.
The excitement of seeing snow for the first time, touching it with my own hands and standing among the mountains is something I still remember.
If I visit a snowy destination again, I would prepare a little better. I would pay more attention to winter clothing and footwear, plan for the cold and make sure I have everything I need to stay comfortable.
But I would also make sure I leave enough time simply to enjoy the snow.
A simple memory that stayed with me
When I think about my Kullu and Manali trip, there are probably many things I could talk about — the mountains, the roads, the scenery and the places we visited.
But surprisingly, one of the memories that comes back to me most easily is much simpler.
Picking up snow with my hand for the first time.
It wasn't a grand adventure.
It wasn't an expensive activity.
It was just a small moment during a trip.
But sometimes, those are the moments that stay with us the longest.
And that is what my first experience with snow in Kullu and Manali means to me — a simple experience that turned into a lasting travel memory.

Comments
Post a Comment