What to Wear for Your First Snow Trip: Winter Clothing and Essentials

Winter clothing and snow trip essentials
Winter clothing, footwear and essential items to pack for a comfortable snow trip

Planning your first trip to a snowy destination and wondering what to wear for a snow trip? I had the same question before my trip to Kullu and Manali. I knew I would need warm clothes, but I didn't fully understand how important the right winter clothing and footwear would be until I experienced the cold and snow myself.

Seeing snow for the first time can be an exciting experience. During my trip to Kullu and Manali, I finally got the chance to touch snow myself, and the experience taught me a few simple things about preparing for a snowy destination.

Before that trip, I had seen plenty of videos and pictures of people enjoying snowy mountains. I knew it would be cold, but I didn't fully understand how important proper winter clothing would be until I experienced it myself.

If you are planning your first trip to a snowy destination, here are some of the things I would recommend carrying.

1. Start with thermal inner wear

Thermal inner wear is one of the first things I would pack for a snow trip.

A thermal top and bottom provide an extra layer between your body and the cold outside. Instead of depending only on a thick jacket, wearing layers helps you stay warm while giving you the flexibility to remove a layer if you become uncomfortable indoors.

For someone travelling to snow for the first time, I think thermals are worth considering.

2. Carry a warm jacket

A good winter jacket is probably the most important outer layer.

You don't necessarily need the most expensive jacket. Look for one that provides good insulation and protects you from cold wind. If you expect to spend a lot of time around wet snow, a water-resistant outer layer can also be useful.

During my first snow experience, I realized that standing outside for photographs is very different from simply looking at snowy mountains from inside a vehicle.

You actually feel the cold!

3. Don't forget warm trousers

People often concentrate on jackets and forget about their legs.

If you're going to spend several hours outside in snow, ordinary trousers may not provide enough protection. A warm pair of trousers or suitable winter layers can make a big difference.

If you plan to sit, walk or play in snow, choose clothing that can handle some moisture as well.

4. Warm socks are important

Cold feet can quickly make an enjoyable snow trip uncomfortable.

I would carry a few pairs of warm socks, preferably woolen or good-quality thermal socks. Having an extra pair is also useful because your socks can become damp if you walk through wet snow.

This is one item where carrying an extra pair takes very little space but can be very useful.

5. Choose proper footwear

Good footwear is something I would take seriously on a snow trip.

Snow can be slippery, wet and uneven. Some areas may also have compacted snow because many people have walked over them.

Look for shoes or boots with good grip and some protection against water. Comfortable footwear is especially important if you plan to walk around for several hours.

You don't want your first experience with snow to be spoiled by cold or wet feet.

6. Gloves are essential

This is one item I personally learned to appreciate during my first experience with snow.

When I first saw the snow, I immediately wanted to touch it. I picked some up with my hands and enjoyed the experience, but my fingers became cold surprisingly quickly.

A good pair of warm gloves can make a big difference.

If you want to play with snow or take photographs outdoors, gloves are something I would definitely keep in my bag.

7. Carry a warm cap and something for your neck

A warm cap or beanie can help protect your head and ears from the cold.

A scarf or neck warmer is also useful, particularly when you're outside in windy conditions.

These items are small and easy to pack, so I don't see much reason to leave them behind when travelling to a snowy destination.

8. Sunglasses and Sunscreen

This may seem surprising, but sunglasses can be useful around snow.

Bright sunlight reflecting from snow can be uncomfortable for your eyes. A good pair of sunglasses can make being outdoors more comfortable.

Sunscreen is also worth carrying. Cold weather doesn't mean you are completely protected from the sun.

9. Carry a few practical essentials

Apart from clothing, I would also keep a few basic items in my day bag:

  • Lip balm
  • Moisturizer
  • Water bottle
  • Power bank
  • Personal medicines
  • Tissues
  • Small waterproof bags
  • Extra socks or gloves

A waterproof bag can be particularly useful for keeping wet clothes or other belongings separate from the rest of your luggage.

What I Would Pack for My Next Snow Trip

After my first experience with snow in Kullu and Manali, I have a much better idea of what I would carry next time.

I would definitely pack thermal inner wear, a warm jacket, comfortable winter trousers, thick socks, gloves and proper footwear. I would also keep a warm cap, sunglasses, sunscreen and a few extra pairs of socks in my luggage.

One thing I would pay particular attention to is footwear. Walking on snow can be very different from walking on a normal road, so I would choose shoes with good grip and some protection from water.

I would also keep a small day bag with essentials such as a power bank, water bottle, lip balm, personal medicines and a waterproof bag for anything that gets wet.

Most importantly, I would leave enough time to actually enjoy the snow rather than spending the entire trip taking photographs.

My first snow experience taught me that being properly prepared makes it much easier to enjoy the destination. The right clothing and a few simple essentials can make a cold day in the mountains much more comfortable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 Reasons Why Visiting Munnar Felt So Refreshing

My Favorite Travel Bags and Gadgets for Traveling Across India

Wandering Through the Blue City of Jodhpur